Sunday 19 April 2015

Shara - Designing for BBC Radio Presenter Shay Grewal - The 'Asian Awards' 2015

I am literally bursting with pride and been grinning from ear to ear all weekend. I Shara Johnson am proud to present BBC radio presenter Shay Grewal wearing a custom made 'Shara' dress to the 'Asian Awards' 2015! My first red carpet dress and I am immensely proud. I challenged myself, even when I was nervous, I rose to the occasion and I did it!

 I decided to do a mini behind the scenes video of the making process and meetings with Shay in the run up to the awards - Enjoy!



BBC Presenter - Shay Grewal
Designer: Shara (Me)
Image credit: Terry Scott


I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole design process from doing initial designs, through to pattern cutting, sampling, fitting and finishing. In my uni years I have interned for high profile luxury fashion houses, but nothing compares to going through the process of when you are designing a piece that is ultimately a representation of yourself and design aesthetic.

Me doing design work & looking over my final fabrics & trims


BBC Radio Presenters - Sunny & Shay
Photo credit: Karwai Tang


I think the biggest compliment of all for me was when the legendary Mens wear designer Ozwald Boateng said he liked my design -eek! As a designer who looks up to him this meant a lot. I love his slick tailoring and the way he likes to play with colour, so that compliment made me feel honoured.


Shay photographed with Menswear designer Ozwald Boateng

 I would like to thank BBC radio presenters Sunny and Shay for this opportunity.

Photo credit: Terry Scott

This has certainly given me a boost of confidence in my work and I cannot wait to see what the future holds. Yayyyyyy mmmeee! :)


Share:

2 comments

© Sharasfashion | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig