Thursday 7 May 2015

Event Review: Natural Hair Week Birmingham 2015

On May 4th 2015 'The natural hair week' descended  on the Drum Creative arts centre in Birmingham. Co founded by Author of the book 'I grew it long' Diane Hall and creator of the hair & beauty blog 'Officially Natural' Vinna Best, 'The natural hair week' event has taken the UK scene by storm annually travelling to London, Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham.



Thanks to social media platforms such as Tumblr, Blogspot and YouTube; hair sensations such as 'Naptural 85', 'Mahogany curls' (and myself) who keep a hair diary are able to reach an audience of up to 500,000. Celebrities such as Solange Knowles and Teyonah Paris have also been photographed sporting their beautiful 4c hair on the red carpet. The natural hair movement is growing at a phenomenal rate, and WOC are embracing their hair like never before. They want to be more educated about the care they should be giving to their natural hair, and what better way than to do this than at the 'Natural hair week'.
Me sharing my natural hair routine and Hair care tips



 It was no surprise that when I arrived at the Drum, it was packed with the hustle and bustle of women eagerly looking at all the natural hair exhibitors from Cantu to ORS. On arrival I was greeted by a lovely lady, first impressions and hospitality upon entry at an event  are everything to me. She made me feel warm and  welcome with her infectious smile that set a good atmosphere that continued throughout the day.

Inside 'The Drum creative arts centre' & Women with their natural hair

There were hair demonstrations from local Birmingham Hair salon businesses 'De Vine Studio', to ORS giving out samples of their products.

De Vine Studio Hair Salon doing live hair demonstration

ORS Hair Products

 The 'Cantu' representatives were doing 30 minute workshops with live Q&A's and explaining when the hair products should be used. The audience also learned about different curl patterns, the importance of listening to your hair, and using products which are sulphate and paraben free. My favourite product of theirs has to be the 'Shea Custard'. A product that unlike most gels do not contain alcohol which is very drying to the hair. It is great for doing twist outs and braid outs while giving you a more defined curl. (I will do a video review of this product very soon).

There was also a hair and scalp clinic ran by Shirley Mcdonald, who people were able to book an appointment with if they wanted to have a private hair consultation and hair diagnostic.

      Live Workshop & hair demonstration using Cantu products and flexi rods

Other high lights of the day included my favourite - the fashion accessories stalls!. Hands down my absolute favourite was a brand by 'Ana isArts' OMG! The earrings were just fabulous. She had everything from Ankara shoulder bags and bow ties, to these fabulous Africa shaped earrings which of course I snapped up as soon as I saw them.


Other favourites included accessory brand 'Pieces by Keke' who hand makes pieces from materials such as wood, perspex's, clay and plastic.

Jewellery brand Pieces by KeKe

 Make up and skin care brands such as 'Fashion Fair' and 'Mary Kay' were also present, but what caught my eye was a brand called Aviela. Aviela sell a range of beautifully packaged Shea butter, body butters, body scrubs (etc). The product I most look forward to trying out is their black soap. This chemical and fragrance free soap make it suitable for it for acne, scarring, eczema or just for general use.


Overall I was thrilled with the 'Natural Hair Week' event, and bursting with pride by the time I left. I had no idea that there so many women in Birmingham with natural hair! I felt a real sense of community while I was there and felt glad that there was finally an event that celebrated afro hair - Yes! Natural hair week you will be seeing me again next year. :)








Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sharasfashion | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig