Thursday 6 August 2020

JAMAICAN 58TH INDEPENDENCE DAY 2020

Outfit
T-shirt - Designed by me
Slouchy Jeans - Zara
Blazer - Zara
Shoes - Zara (old)

Reeeeehhhhhh! Big up yuhself! 
Hi everyone! It's Jamaican independence day, we are easing out of lockdown, the shops are gradually opening again, and we are slowly adapting to a new way of life for the foreseeable future. Although massive annual events that are a pivotal part of Caribbean culture such as the 'Nottinghill Carnival' have been cancelled; one thing for sure is, you can never kill the spirit of Jamaican people, no matter if you were born there or if you are British Jamaican like myself, we are typically boasty, bubbly, PROUD of our heritage and we tend to LOVE bright colours (in particular yellow). 

What is there not to love about the island where the beautiful clear blue water runs free and food grows on the trees - literally. There is a saying in Jamaica that goes: 'Wi lickle but wi tallawah!' This basically means that we may be small, but we are strong and courageous so do not underestimate us. We have amazing food (as you can see listed on my t-shirt below) the national dish is akee and salt fish, amazing people such as: The Marleys, the fastest man in the world Usain Bolt, the fastest woman in the world 'Shelly Ann - Fraser Pryce, hilarious comedians like Oliver Samuels who I have watched growing up, and of course political activist, journalist and entrepreneur Marcus Garvey whose legacy inspires millions of people today whilst we still advocate and campaign for change for black people. Not forgetting the chilled and relaxed sounds of reggae and gospel music which constantly fills the atmosphere in my house, from Chevelle Franklin, Beres Hammond, Luciano, Stichie, Chronixx and Buju Banton while my mom or myself cooks up dinner; being raised in a Jamaican household is something I wouldn't trade for anything.

Jamaican people have contributed so much to British society, from helping to build up the NHS and national rail with their most skilled workers who migrated to England during the Windrush era, to fighting in the war, to facing racism and rejection, to being spat at and turned away from getting mortgages, being beaten in the streets for no reason and unfairly targeted by police - British society has not been kind to Caribbean people. Jamaicans and Caribbeans showed so much strength and resilience coming to a country they knew nothing about to create a new life, they got on with it and pushed through all of that racism to give us better - our grandparents worked tremendously hard to give us a life with more opportunities that they did not get access to, and for that I am forever grateful.

The baton has now passed onto the younger generation for us to keep their legacy going and the Jamaican traditions and recipes alive, and that is exactly what I intend to do. My parents always say 'It's not how you start, it's how you finish', so I will be pushing myself to be the best version of myself I can be - and I will always being doing it in style with a fabulous pair of heels on whilst listening to some dancehall or reggae. 

In closing Jamaicans be proud of who you are, and whoever don't like it can gweh!

HAPPY JAMAICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY! WI LICKLE BUT WI TALLAWAH! :) XX

HOT GYAL GET MAD CAH YUH NUH REGULAR!




Share:

4 comments

  1. Your custom designed graphic T-shirt, slouchy jeans and yellow blazer from Zara
    all accented with the Jamaican flag all look fabulous together.
    What you have written here needs to be widely read,
    especially at a time when there are such overt racists in the U.S. White House and Senate.
    Kudos to you for your strength and resolve,
    and thank you for sharing this on Jamaican 58th Independence Day.

    my blog
    my YouTube
    my Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support XX :)

      Delete

© Sharasfashion | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig