Wednesday 15 October 2014

An Interview with Fashion Accessories Brand: 'Sampson and Christie'

After the glamorous  Midlands Fashion Soiree on the 8th of August, I was having a browse looking at the beautiful exhibition stands that were located just outside the showroom, when I came across this stunning accessory brand ‘Sampson and Christie’. Upon looking at the products everything about them oozed high quality with obvious attention to intricate details on the leather. Of course I wanted to know more about this wonderful brand, so I caught up with founder Becky Sampson, who discussed her inspirations as well as where she sees ‘Sampson and Christie’ in the future.

 How did you get into starting your accessory line?

Becky: 'Sampson & Christie' was started while I was designing at a small home wares company. The company had an agency side to the business that dealt with leather bags and accessories for larger companies, such as Quba and DKNY. I got to deal first hand with the factories, and was able to get valuable experience with this side of production. I had always had a passion for designing and the opportunity arose for me to create a collection and use the factories that I had been dealing with, it was an opportunity that I had to take. I started designing in 2012 and it took a full year for the collection to go from designs to physical products.

Sampson and Christie Accessory Range 




What is your design process like from initial idea to product?

Becky: The design process for me is to first create a pattern, taking inspiration from the natural world around me. The pattern is then refined and changed to suit the laser cut element. Once I am happy with the pattern, I then go through a wide range of colour options to get the best combination that will work with all the products for that collection. I can’t get the colours’ to close or too far apart, as they don’t work well on the end products. From this I then create a range of initial designs for the shapes that I feel I want to include in the collection, and then pick about 5 which I then work on and refine, to get the best options for the collection. For me its all about showing off the pattern and the laser cut element in the best light, as this is the main feature on the bag that I want to highlight. This is why I always create a pattern first and the bag shape second.

                                                   (Founder Becky working on initial pattern designs)


 You seem to take a lot of inspiration from butterflies; do you also pull inspiration from other sources?

Becky: My inspiration comes mainly from the natural world, so many of the patterns are based on nature, be it flowers, butterflies, leaves or birds. However I do also take a lot of inspiration from patterns in man made structures, such as Islamic art in buildings. The inspiration can come from anywhere, it can be anywhere that I see a pattern or an idea that I think I could make work on the accessories.

 You currently design laptop cases, phone cases,  bags (etc.) Are there other products in the pipeline we can expect from Sampson and Christie?

        'Blaze Burner Laptop Bag' Available here
Becky: Yes there are many other products that I would like to bring in, currently in the pipe line is a smaller purse, glass case and a bowler style bag. Eventually I want to include a range of travel accessories, including a weekend bag. There are also plans to slowly introduce a few men’s wear pieces into the range.
                                                                                       
 Using laser cutting to create patterns, do you ever feel that you are restricted to what kind of patterns you are able to produce or fabrics you are able to use?

Becky: Using laser cut has never been a restriction for me. I love creating patterns and making them work in laser cut, my products are a very tactile product, and I get many people coming up and picking up pieces to see how it has all been done, as often from a distance they think it is a print, it is only when they pick it up they realize it is a cut pattern. I don’t ever view it as a restriction as I love working in leather, and will always continue to work with leather. I have ideas for using the leather laser cut panel and mixing it with a canvas, to develop a lower priced range collection in the future, but it will always been a key element in my design process.

                          'Day Bag Monarch' &  'Flame thrower blue shoulder bag' Available here
  

Would you ever consider expanding into clothing and using the laser cutting technique?

Becky: There have been thoughts of looking in to adding clothing to the brand, but this is a way off at the moment. My main passion will always be bags and accessories, if I made the leap in the future to add clothing to the range I would have to make sure that it was totally the right decision for the brand.

                                                             'Clutch red Admiral' available here


 As your brand grows, what are the key signature things that you would like consumers to remember Sampson and Christie for?

Becky: I would always like consumers to remember that the quality of my products will never be compromised; I always strive for the best quality leathers, the best fittings and linings. I will always have a laser cut element to my collection as this is my signature and I never want to lose this element. Price is also a key element for me, I always want the quality, with out a large price tag, I want the brand to be affordable to any lady who appreciates quality products.

What is your advice to aspiring accessory designers?

Becky: My advice for any aspiring accessories designers is to be true to yourself, trust your instinct and persevere even if things are getting tough, it’s a long road ahead and you have to keep going even when things look bleak. 

For more information on 'Sampson and Christie' see links below

Website: http://www.sampsonandchristie.co.uk/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SampsonChristie

All images used sourced from the Sampson and Christie Website




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sharasfashion | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig